Monday, December 8, 2008

Is it Lamb or Sheep?

I was wondering earlier about the difference between a lamb and a sheep? Are they the same? They both say Baaa, lol. But I found the answer. A lamb is a baby or young sheep less than 12 months old. Anything older is considered a sheep. So then it got me thinking again, you eat lamb, you never hear anyone say I'm eating sheep, lol (that cracks me up). Well again, the answer to that puzzling thought is that sheep meat is called mutton, while baby sheep is called lamb. Guess, Im having mutton for dinner tonight.

7 comments:

Jamilah said...

I think that an old sheep is called Mutton when you eat it... not sure. For Qurbani the sheep has to be at least 6 months old so most of the time I guess its considered a lamb... the sheep we had last year needed to be slow cooked. Still yummy.

My husband had to tell me how cute and fluffy he was.. :( before the chop...

Yasmin (Umm Zayd) said...

ea the lamb we had was 8 months old. It was kinda fat. IT was funny cuz he tried to jump over the fence and got caught. I don't think I should be laughing but it was a sight to see. Watching men chase after sheep is hilarious lol. Those sheep were too smart.

Jamilah said...

Our sheep was a good boy and just stayed put... waaaaaaa

Inspired Muslimah said...

Iam not sure?? Let me know what you find out. lol

Umm Hasan said...

As Salaamu Alaykum dearest Yasmin, Hey check out my blog post, I have a suprise for you.. regards Umm Hasan

Anonymous said...

You know what's weirder? -- Is that I found out the lamb (is baby sheep thing) from my friend when she handed me a big chunk of her dhabiha/qurbani for eid.

And, of course, she whispers in my ears and says: "dude, it's all yours. I don't know how to cook lamb".

yikes!
any reciptes?

www.questfortherightone.blogspot.com

Lazeena Umm Yusuf said...

LOL! great post mashaAllah haha. i thought the SAME thing, you never hear someone say I ATE SHEEP FOR DINNER, sounds too funny lol. this is definitely something i've pondered about but never remembered to put down!